As COVID-19 is a new disease; scientists and public health experts are still learning how it spreads. Up until now, Grand Cayman has only had one confirmed case of COVID-19. The victim was a 68-year old Italian man who was at first taken to Health City for a heart attack but then succumbed to complications with the virus.
In light of the global pandemic happening right now, we at Cayman Pharmacy Group want to give you some tips in prevention when it comes to protecting ourselves from contracting and spreading COVID-19. During a COVID-19 outbreak in your community, stay home as much as possible. The virus only lives on surfaces and inside the body for up to 14 days. Together, we can overcome this.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 30 seconds, especially after being in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people.
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing; throw used tissues in the trash. If a tissue isn’t available, cough or sneeze into your elbow or sleeve, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched spaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, computers, phones, keyboards, sinks, toilets and countertops.
- Be sure you have over-the-counter medicines and medical supplies to treat fever and other flu-like symptoms. Most people will be able to recover from COVID-19 at home.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible.
Get Your Household Ready
There’s no such thing as being too prepared. Check out these tips to better ready yourself for quarantine:
- Have a supply of food staples and household supplies like laundry detergent and bathroom items, and diapers if you have small children.
- Check to make sure you have at least a 30-day supply of your prescription medications and have other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes and vitamins. You can visit any of our three pharmacies to refill your prescription:
Doctors Hospital Pharmacy: 946-2407
West Bay Pharmacy & Gifts: 945-0777
Savannah Pharmacy & Gifts: 946-3336
- Help family members and neighbours get prepared and share the safety messaging with those who may not have access to it.
- Stock up on household items and groceries in case you need to stay inside for a long period of time.
These are difficult times but not impossible times. We have overcome pandemics since the start of time and we will do it once again. Wash your hands, avoid contact, disinfect spaces. Don’t leave your house unless you absolutely have to. The sooner we kill this virus, the sooner our regular lives can return.
Stay safe and help those around you stay safe. Follow these tips and together we can do this!